Stomping on the box..

It's been more than seven long years when I first became interested in guitar tone shaping (I don't know what else to call it then). I remember my first build, a straight clone of a good distortion pedal...only I complicated it too much...double sided printed circuit board for a very simple circuit. Yes I tend to complicate things, that's who I am back then..and guess what..it sounds HORRIBLE!!Why? I can't even remember what my prototype exactly looks like...one thing's for sure, it definitely is a work of a newbie..

I'm doing it again..but this time, am more cautious, with more ideas, even crazy ones...crazy yet useable (i think)..

For this post, I'll be enumerating the pedals that i have made, and decided to discontinue making them:

1. Dr. Boogey Dual Rectifier Emulator Distortion - nice thick distortion tone, with six knobs (gain, bass, mid, treble, presence and volume)..got my layout from Gaussmarkov's site..but i think there are lots of guys making this, so I'll just leave it to them..

2. Tubescreamer - the "standard" for overdrive pedals..I used to think this is the holy grail for overdrive tones, until i got a used Overdrive 855 (I modified it to true bypass) made also by Ibanez and it changed my mind..similarly, there are lots of DIY guys doing this, so I'll leave it to them too..

3. Rebote Delay 2.5 - nice warm "analogish" echo unit..small and compact..until I realized its limitations..the delay time is too short at 580ms..and yes a lot of DIY people does this too..

4. Diefet Diezel VH4 amp simulator - hi gain distortion..very nice tone with seven knobs..a certified metal pedal..

5. JCM800 emulator - quite hard to tweak..I don't dig the sound either..so let it be...

I told myself I'm done with cloning..I'm gonna make my own designs..

No comments:

Post a Comment