Downgrading

A few weeks ago, I have spotted an interesting electric guitar on a local music forum. It really looks like the one I have lost around 6years ago. And because it had triggered lots of memories, I decided to buy it.

The guitar isn't a very well known brand. I have researched the wood used in that guitar and the body turned out to be alder, a sought after wood for its pronounced upper midrange. The neck is made of maple, fretboard is rosewood. It has a H-S-S pickup configuration and is equipped with a licensed Floyd Rose bridge. And it is Japan made.

When I got the guitar, I can definitely say that this is the worst setup I've seen with guitars. The Floyd Rose bridge routing is a disaster. The neck pickup was forcibly placed, breaking the pickup cover. Middle pickup is missing, and the previous owner bored a new hole for a Les Paul type of switch, leaving the slot for the blade pickup selector empty. And did I mention the body is full of car stickers?

I decided to send the guitar to a good local luthier for repairs and modifications:
1. Reroute the floyd rose bridge
2. Reset of the neck cavity
3. Refret with medium frets
4. Remove the horn in the cutaway so that I can reach the higher frets easily
5. Place a killswitch and another hole for separate switch
6. Place a customized inlay on the 12th fret
7. Replace the decal in the headstock with a personalized logo
8. Repaint it with white
9. Scallop frets from 15-24frets

I will be the one to get the electronics done, and these will be the modifications:
1. Replace the bridge pickup with either Dimarzio D activator X or GFS Crunchy Rails
2. Bought 2 Artec dual rail single coil sized pickup for the neck and middle
3. Killswitch
4. Install a 3 way switch for pickup selector with bridge-bridge+neck-neck configuration
5. Replace the tone knob with a coil split switch, all 3 pickups are splittable
6. Place a new toggle switch for a bridge/neck-middle switching (since I want to use the middle pickup on live settings without worrying on wrong blade switch position)

I just missed using 6string guitar since I've been using 7strings for around 4-5yrs already. And I want this guitar to be a personal guitar. I'll be posting photos after I get it out of the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment